Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons white pepper (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 lb baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (or oat flour)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I like dissolving 3 Edward & Sons® Not-Chick’n™ Bouillon Cubes in warm or hot water instead of traditional vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup cashewmilk yogurt
- sea salt to taste
- OPTIONAL for thicker texture – mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot with water and add to the pot at the end
- fresh thyme or herb of your choice
Set a heavy bottomed pot on medium heat. Once hot add oil and onion and saute for 2 – 3 minutes or until the edges of the onion turn slightly brown. Then add garlic and stir. Then add the seasonings and stir for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms. Continue stirring until the mushrooms are covered in the seasoning and oil.
Add dry white wine and reduce to about half. Then sprinkle in flour and stir until it is slushy. Pour in the vegetable broth and add the Dijon, then bring to a light simmer. Cover and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
Then add plain, plant-based yogurt and stir quickly to avoid curdling. Simmer for another 5 minutes then remove from the heat to cool and thicken.
Garnish and enjoy! Note: if you plan to use this as part of another recipe, like a casserole, then consider dicing the mushrooms instead of slicing them.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!