Flank Steak with Salad of Romaine Hearts
Want to save this recipe?
I got you! Just enter your email address, and I'll forward it to your inbox! Plus, you'll receive a bonus of healthful, "must-try" recipes each week!
Prepare your taste buds for an exquisite journey with my Flank Steak Salad recipe. Bursting with bold flavors and wholesome ingredients, this salad is the epitome of culinary delight. Let’s dive into the step-by-step guide where I will show you how to make this amazing recipe.
How to Make Grilled Flank Steak Salad
Step 1: Marinating the Steak
- Begin by firing up your grill or preheating the oven to 450°F – 500°F.
- Char the peeled tomatillos directly on the grill grates or roast them in the oven until blistered and soft. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine green onions, garlic, capers, anchovies, olive oil, white vinegar, sea salt, and cracked pepper to create the marinade.
- Place the lean flank steak in a sealable bag or baking tray, add the marinade, and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
Step 2: Making the Dressing
- In a blender or food processor, blend ripe avocado, roasted tomatillos, capers (optional), garlic cloves, fresh parsley, olive oil, lime juice, sea salt, pepper, and water until smooth. Chill the dressing in the fridge.
Step 3: Grilling the Steak
- Increase the grill heat to 550°F – 595°F or set the oven to broil.
- Pat the marinated flank steak dry and grill it for 4 – 6 minutes on each side for your desired level of doneness.
- Allow the steak to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Step 4: Optional Grilled Romaine Hearts
- If desired, sear halved Romaine hearts on the grill for 3 – 5 minutes after spraying them with oil.
Step 5: Bringing it All Together
- Drizzle the chilled dressing over the grilled Romaine hearts, then top with sliced flank steak.
- Garnish with additional parsley, pepper, and pepitas for added texture and flavor.
Tips for This Flank Steak Salad Recipe
- For a deeper flavor profile, marinate the steak overnight.
- Adjust the grilling time based on your preferred level of steak doneness.
- Experiment with additional toppings such as cherry tomatoes or grilled onions for added flair.
How to Store Leftover Flank Steak Salad
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Ensure the dressing is kept separately for optimal freshness.
Elevate your dining experience with this Flank Steak Salad recipe, where tender steak meets vibrant flavors, creating a symphony of taste sensations that will leave you craving for more. It is perfect for any occasion, whether it is a casual weeknight dinner or a festive gathering, this dish offers a balance of flavors and textures that will delight guests and leave lasting impressions.
Flank Steak with Salad of Romaine Hearts
- 1 1/24 lb lean flank steak (or skirt steak), fat trimmed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 2 anchovies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 ripe large avocado (2 tablespoons mashed avocado)
- 6 – 7 tomatillos, roasted
- 1 tablespoon capers (OPTIONAL)
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lime juice
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons water (more/less as needed)
- 5 (baby or small) Romaine hearts, halved
Fire up the grill or oven to 450F – 500F. Once hot, add the peeled tomatillo directly on the grill grates to char. If using the oven, place them in a baking tray, spray with oil, add a pinch of salt on them, then roast for 12 – 15 minutes, or until the outside has blistered some and tomatillos are soft to touch. Set aside to cool down.
Mix together the ingredients for the marinade.
Place the flank steak in a sealable bag or a baking tray and add the marinade. Close/Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or overnight in the fridge.
Add the tomatillos and remaining ingredients for the dressing to a high powered blender or food processor. Process until smooth and season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Set in the fridge to chill.
Increase the heat of the grill to 550F – 595F. If using the oven, set it to broil and make sure the rack is in the middle.
Shake off excess marinade and other pieces of food that may stick to it and gently pat it dry with a paper towel. Place the flank directly on the grill, or place it in a baking tray. Cook for 4 – 6 minutes on 1 side, then flip to the other side to cook for an additional 3 – 5 minutes, depending on your desired level of doneness. Add an additional 1.5 – 2 minutes per side for a medium well steak.
Remove the steak and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Lightly cover with foil as it cools down.
OPTIONAL – If desired, spray each Romaine heart half with oil on the cut portion, then place it on the grill to sear for 3 – 5 minutes.
Slice the flank steak and bring it all together!
Drizzle dressing over the Romaine heart, then add the steak and garnish with more parsley, pepper and pepitas for some crunch!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!