Low Carb Cajun Style Okra Seafood Soup
Cajun Seafood Soup Recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Set a large, heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and okra and sauté for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it is not burning and make sure the okra is touching the bottom of the pot. The longer you cook the okra, the less mucilage (“slime”) will be in the final product. Note: okra mucilage is a thickener for the soup, so the longer you cook the okra, the thinner the broth. I recommend cooking for no more than 25 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and green bell pepper and cook for an additional 6 – 8 minutes, or until the edges of the onion have started to brown. Sprinkle in the seasoning, tomato paste and tomato (and if you want a thicker broth, add the arrowroot at this moment as well). Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the water/broth and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and lump crab meat to the pot and simmer for at least 15 more minutes (up to 30 minutes).
- Remove from the heat once the soup has reduced slightly and started to thicken, then season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Enjoy while warm BUT enjoying the soup the next day is HIGHLY recommended since the flavors would have had a chance to meld together.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.