This post is also available in: Spanish
Only thing better than one of your favorite Chinese foods, is when it’s prepared in a heart healthier way so you can enjoy it more often.
While this version is lower in fat, it definitely does not compromise on flavor! You won’t notice the difference in taste, but you will in how you feel after eating it. With only 345 calories per serving and over 35g protein, your muscles and your tastebuds will be begging for more.
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 2lb chopped chicken breasts
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 cups snow peas
- 5 cups chopped colorful bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- spray extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce/paste or ketchup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- chopped green onions
- In a bowl, add ingredients for the sauce and whisk together.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil.
- When the skillet is hot, toss in garlic and sear for about 2 minutes. Then add chopped chicken breasts. Cook the chicken until the outside of it is seared, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Then, toss in chopped bell peppers and sear for about 3 minutes. Stir the mixture with a wooden spatula.
- Slowly pour in the sauce little by little and stir frequently with a spatula.
- Toss in the raw cashews and stir.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy with brown rice or quinoa.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings without brown rice:
344 calories, 38g protein, 17g carbs, 13g fat, 3g fiber, 6.5g sugar