Asian Style Shrimp & Quinoa Meal Prep
One of the most popular recipes of 2018 was the Southwest Shrimp & Quinoa mix! What I loved most about the recipe is that it checked off several boxes:
- great for meal prep
- used a common leftover or bulk ingredient – quinoa
- demonstrated an easy way to liven up quinoa which tends to be both bland, dry and nutty
So, this go-round I’m putting an Asian-inspired spin on shrimp & quinoa. Very easy to customize for your diet and goals. Check it out!
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 lb raw jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoons Sriracha (more/less to taste)
- 4 tablespoons (24g) peanut butter powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- juice from 1 fresh lime
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (I used rainbow quinoa)
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped & tightly packed
Set a skillet on medium heat. Once hot add olive oil, garlic and bell pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes to flavor the oil and sear the outside edges of the bell pepper.
Increase the heat to medium-high heat and toss in the shrimp. Toss the shrimp in the bell pepper mix and add sriracha while it cooks. Set aside once the shrimp has cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes – it should be plump and pink.
Mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
In a large bowl, add the shrimp, cooked quinoa and the sauce. Thoroughly mix and toss together.
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix.
Season to taste with low sodium soy sauce and lime.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!