Roasted Branzino in Eggplant & Tomato
Whole Roasted Branzino Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- Set oven to 420F/216C.
- Dice up the eggplant. Add a few pinches of sea salt to the eggplant and allow them to rest for 15 – 20 minutes at room temperature. Set aside.
- Descale the branzino using the back of a butter knife or chef’s knife. Scrape against the scales so they pop off. Cut off the fins on the top and the sides as well. Once both sides have been descaled, then rinse the fish under cold water.
- Mix olive oil, garlic and sea salt & pepper. Brush the inside of the gutted branzino with the mix. Then stuff with half lemon slices (so they fit perfectly inside the fish) and fresh herbs.
- For the top of the fish that will be facing up, cut three slits along the side of the fish in the direction scales, this is called scoring. Brush the remaining olive oil mix on the outside and then add a final pinch of sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Set a large pan/skillet on medium heat, and once hot add olive oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes until the onions soften, turn brown and translucent. Add the eggplant and cherry tomatoes and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes. Sprinkle in The Fit Cook Land seasoning while it cooks.
- Pour in the white wine, stir and then let everything simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the wine is reduced by half. Use the back of a spatula to gently explode the tomatoes as they soften.
- Pour in the seafood stock and the tomato paste. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer (and reduce the heat to low if needed), then partially cover the skillet and cook for 12 – 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, it should almost be stew like, rich and creamy. Turn the heat off the skillet.
- Add the branzino to the top of the eggplant mix, then place in the oven. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- After roasting, sprinkle in capers and Kalamata olives if desired. Peel back the skin of the branzino and ENJOY the succulent flesh with the roasted eggplant and tomato.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.