Scallop Taco (Fajitas) Recipe
This seared scallop tacos recipe is a flavorful and healthy way to enjoy seared scallops. The scallops are seared in a cast iron skillet with diced bell peppers, red onions, and minced garlic, and seasoned with cumin, salt, and pepper. They are served in a corn tortilla or a whole grain one with fresh pico de gallo and optional avocado and cilantro. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to your liking with different seasonings and toppings.
To start, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add coconut or olive oil. Let the oil come to temperature for about 1 or 2 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the bell peppers and red onions into small chunks and toss them in the skillet together with the minced garlic. Sear the veggies and stir with a spatula. Make sure the scallops are dry using a paper towel to eliminate any excess water, and then add them to the skillet.
Season the scallops with cumin, salt, and pepper as they cook, being careful not to let them stick to the skillet as they will definitely burn. Toss them around the skillet with a spatula so that they have the chance to absorb all of the flavors from the oil and the vegetables. Keep in mind that scallops cook fast. Do not cook them for more than 5 minutes.
When the scallops reach a beautiful brown color on each side, it is time to take them off the heat so that they do not overcook.
Combine the tacos together with the grilled veggies, scallops, pico de gallo, and any additional toppings you like, such as avocado and fresh cilantro. If you want to reduce the calories in this recipe, you can use only one flour tortilla, fewer scallops, and spray coconut oil instead of using it in the skillet. Enjoy this scallop taco fajita recipe as a tasty and healthy meal or snack.
Scallop Taco (Fajitas) Recipe
- Set a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add Kelapo coconut oil and allow the oil to heat up. Should take about 1–2 minutes.
- Chop yellow bell pepper and red onion into pieces and add to the skillet along with garlic. Sear the veggies and stir with a spatula.
- Pat dry the scallops with a paper towel to remove excess water. Add to the skillet.
- Season the scallops as they are cooking and be careful not to let them burn or stick to the skillet. Use a spatula to toss them around in the oil so they absorb the flavor or the veggies and the delicious Kelapo oil. Scallops cook very quickly so they should be cooked in a little under 5 minutes.
- Once the scallops are brown on both sides (top/bottom), remove the scallops from heat and serve immediately with warm tortillas.
- Assemble the tacos with scallops, grilled veggies, pico de gallo and if you want, fresh cilantro and avocado.
Remember to always adjust portion size to complement your diet and goals. To reduce calories, you can use only 1 tortilla, less scallops and use spray Kelapo coconut oil instead.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.