High Protein White Bean & Mushroom Farro (V)
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped or diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used baby portobello)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry (uncooked) farro
- 2 tablespoons The Fit Cook Land seasoning
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (add more as necessary)
- pinch of sea salt & black pepper
- 1 can (15oz/425g) white beans (cannellini), drained
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- sea salt & pepper to taste
Set a large pot (with a heavy lid) on medium high heat. Once hot, add oil and onion. Saute for 3 minutes until the onions turn slightly brown. Then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 -3 minutes or until sear marks appear along the edges of the mushrooms.
Add the garlic, dry farro and seasoning. Stir and ensure every grain is covered in the seasoning and oil, about 1 -2 minutes.
Pour in the broth and bring to a light simmer. Reduce the heat, then cover and cook for 25 – 30 minutes, or until 90% of the liquid has been absorbed. Farro should be somewhat chewy.
Remove the lid and fold in beans, parsley and nutritional yeast. Fold everything together and continue cooking until 95% of the liquid has evaporated or been absorbed.
Season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!