Lunchbox: Mandarin Ginger Cashew Barley Grain Bowl
Ingredients for 7 servings
- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley, uncooked and raw
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated or shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 can (8oz) water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 3 green onion stalks, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups no sugar added canned mandarins
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil or neutral flavor oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice cooking wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 7 tablespoons crushed dry roasted cashews (1 tablespoon per serving)
Bring about 3 cups of salted water to a boil, add the barley and cook for about 25 minutes until the majority of the liquid has been absorbed, then drain, let it cool, then add to a large mixing bowl. Note: barley should be soft yet slightly chewy.
Add the remaining salad ingredients to gently fold together.
Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, then drizzle over the salad. Gently fold the salad again, then top each individual serving with crushed cashews.
If you’re making this for meal prep, keep the cashews separate. You can grab my 50oz stainless steel container to keep your meals cold longer.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!