- 2lb chicken thighs, fat trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces for kebabs
- spray oil (for binding)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 5 tablespoons low sodium tamari (which is a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce)
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar or cane sugar)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons sake (or rice wine vinegar) – optional
- 1 garlic clove, grated/minced
- 1-inch ginger knob, grated/minced
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot + 3 tablespoons water
Fire up the flattop to warm it up. Season the chicken and assemble on the skewers, about 4oz of chicken each. Set aside.
Mix together the ingredients for the sauce in a small pot – minus the arrowroot – and place the pot on medium high heat to bring to a simmer.
Once it is simmering, pour in the arrowroot slush mix and continually stir to thicken. Let the sauce cool down and thicken.
- Sauce too thick or slimy? Add tablespoons of water.
- Too salty? Add tablespoons of white vinegar or lime or lemon juice.
- Too spicy? Add some honey, agave or maple
- Too sweet? Try various types of vinegar such as white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
Increase heat to high and add the skewers to the grill, cooking until sear marks appear on ALL sides of the chicken and it is cooked through. This is also the time where you’d want to start cooking any sides or vegetables – I tossed asparagus & bell pepper.
While the chicken cooks, remember to continually baste the chicken so it has color and glaze.
Enjoy with your choice of grain or even a side salad! I enjoyed mine with jasmine rice mixed with pineapple, asparagus and bell pepper.
Like cooking with pineapple? 👇🏾 Try out this recipe!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!
Apr 28 2023
I vote this go into your meal dervice, which I love!
Haha! I am adding it asap. We add all new recipes at the end of the month! Thank you for supporting
Apr 30 2023
heck yeah! glad you enjoyed the recipe!
May 02 2023
Awesome recipe! The sauce was perfect
sweet! I love it too. easy to customize as well – I have some folks that cant take the sugar so I swap theirs with Swerve