Cajun White Bean, Turkey & Okra Stew
Ingredients 5 servings
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 cups raw okra, diced (or frozen)
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced (or white onion)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or sliced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium cajun seasoning
- or (1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano, 1 teaspoon dried sage, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 2 teaspoons white pepper)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 campari tomatoes, quartered (or 4 chopped Roma tomatoes)
- 2 15oz cans low sodium white beans, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- juice from 1 lemon
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, dill, tarragon
Set a heavy bottom pot on medium high heat. Once hot, add the oil and the okra and sear for 4 – 6 minutes, or until marks appear along the edges and the okra is no longer slimy. Note: You may need to do this in batches if the pot is small but it’s a good practice in any case so that you give the okra space to sweat and sear. Remove from the pot and set aside.
Add the fennel, celery, bell pepper and garlic and cook down for another 4 – 6 minutes until the fennel begins to turn slightly brown.
Add the ground turkey and chop it up as it cooks. Keep stirring until it is dispersed and there are no visible large pink pieces. Add the tomato paste, spices and ginger. Stir continuously until well mixed, and no worries if it begins to stick to the bottom of the pot.
Pour in the chicken broth and use a wooden spatula to scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze it (that’s where a lot of flavor is trapped).
Add okra, tomatoes and white beans and bring to a gentle simmer. Then add the bay leaves. Reduce the heat to (very) low and cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Squeeze in fresh lemon to balance flavors, then season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
Garnish and enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!