Salt Block Keto Kebab Recipe With Avocado Chimichurri
A few weeks ago I was scrolling through Instagram and came across someone cooking on a Himalayan salt block. I was pretty intrigued and ordered one right away to experiment. It’s fantastic.
It’s like having a well seasoned nonstick skillet and beautiful plate all in one. You probably have some of the same questions I had so:
- it does not overly season your food. The salt is actually gradually absorbed into the food so it is “just right” upon cooking.
- it’s a great way to add minerals to your diet that can help balance pH levels in your body and aid in digestion.
- the surface is anti-bacterial so you don’t have to worry about germs accumulating/contaminating the surface (of course if you follow proper care techniques).
- it retains heat/cool temperatures for longer periods of time so it’s great to use as a serving platter.
There are a few other benefits but in all, my assessment – it’s worth it.
In honor of grilling season, I made some beef and veggie kabobs with an avocado chimichurri! It’s a little more keto than anything else and DARN good! Enjoy our Keto Beef Kebab Recipe.
If you are interested in the keto diet, you can check my healthy keto meal plan. Also, there are more healthy keto recipes like keto rolls and keto crackers.
BEEF & VEGGIE KEBABS
- 1 lb lean top sirloin, cut into 1.5-inch chunks
- Substitutes: extra firm tofu, large bay scallops, jumbo shrimp
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 15 thick asparagus spears, bottom removed then chopped in half
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or avocado oil (essentially any oil with a high smoke point)
- 5 hearty tablespoons avocado chimichurri (see recipe below)
- Himalayan salt block
- 5 wooden skewers
Set oven to 300F and insert the salt block at the same time so that it heats up with the oven. Every 15 minutes increase the temperature about 30-50 degrees until you reach 450F – 500F of the oven. Keep it in the oven until you’re ready to use.
Assemble the kebabs using the skewers. Since these will not be cooked over fire, it is not necessary to soak them beforehand. Pro-tip: lightly steam asparagus in the microwave using a silicone bag (or on the stovetop) to soften.
Remove the salt block from the oven and brush with oil. Place the kebabs on the salt block. For best results, place a skillet or weighted plate on top of the kebabs to help them get a good sear. Cook until your desired readiness, about 5 to 8 minutes then flip to cook on the remaining side.
Top each one with avocado chimichurri sauce.
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1/2 cup parsley (tightly packed)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (tightly packed)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (red wine vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons water
- juice from 3 limes
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon cracked red pepper
- sea salt & pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor EXCEPT for the avocado. Season to taste with lime, water and/or sea sat & pepper. You can also customize the flavor by adjusting the amount of parsley or cilantro. You can add more oil; however, I would only recommend this for those following a higher fat diet like keto.
Once you reach your desired consistency and flavor, fold in chopped avocado.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!