Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Here is the best homemade Enchilada Sauce full of authentic Mexican flavor, ready for less than 10 minutes.
If you ever get the cravings for Tex-Mex food like I do, it’s easy to head out to your nearest Mexican restaurant and load up on food prepared in ways that may not compliment your new healthy lifestyle. Whether you’re making sauce for chicken or want to eat enchiladas, making your own sauce will help save you money, reduce the amount of processed food in your diet and support your overall fitness goals.
This dish is so tasty, you’ll never want a store-bought again. There are only 6 ingredients needed for this enchilada sauce recipe.
You’ll want to start by setting a skillet on medium heat. Use a nonstick skillet. Add oil and wheat flour to a skillet and cook until the flour turns brown. You can try to make this sauce with gluten-free flour if it’s to your liking.
Toss in the garlic and stir with a wooden spatula for one more minute. Now add 1 cup of broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes and stir for 5 minutes. Then add the remaining broth and season to taste.
Finally, allow it to cool down and store in a jar. I adore this sauce and I’m pretty sure you will love it too.
There are so many dishes with which you can eat this sauce as well. Combine with mexican chicken or beef, casseroles, chicken enchiladas, blackened salmon, black beans, or any dish you think it’s a good fit.
Feedback me on how this recipe turns out for you, it makes me keep going. Share with the others in the comments below too.
For more of these sauce recipes, explore fitmencook.com or download the Fitmen app and enjoy my many great recipes. I’m sure you’ll find something to your liking.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add olive oil and wheat flour. Cook for about 3 minutes until the wheat flour turns dark brown and remember to stir frequently with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Toss in garlic and allow it to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth, tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes. Stir and allow the sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes. As you stir, mash the chopped tomatoes in order to thicken the sauce.
- Add in the seasonings and stir thoroughly. Add the remaining 3/4 cup chicken broth. Stir, remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool and thicken. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add tablespoons of chicken broth until you reach your desired consistency. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Store in an airtight container/jar in the refrigerator.
PIN & SHARE
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 fourth-cup servings:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!