BBQ Chicken Pizza
This delicious homemade pizza uses a healthy whole wheat pizza dough to make a heavenly BBQ chicken pizza that not only tastes great, but looks amazing too. Classic pizza crusts are loaded with carbs that might set you back on your fitness and health goals, so take a look at this pizza recipe that uses delicious barbecue chicken, a sweet and savory BBQ sauce, and a healthier alternative to normal dough.
While it isn’t a classic pizza recipe, BBQ pizzas have become popular in recent years as alternatives to the spaghetti sauce and cheese types. Since pre-made pizza dough is now readily available at the supermarket, all you need to do is make the BBQ chicken topping and you can have chicken pizza at home for easy dinners.
This is a recipe that would be great to prepare all the ingredients beforehand so you can cut down on prep time. Start with cooking and slicing chicken breast, shred the cheese (unless you’re using pre-shredded), slice the onion and garnishes, and purchase the pizza dough and barbecue sauce. You can also keep these ingredients in the freezer and use them in batches. Another option would be to use leftover rotisserie chicken, which cuts cooking time down even more.
I highly recommend cooking everything in a cast iron pan, thrown into your preheated oven. Cast iron distributes heat evenly, which will bake your pizza dough to perfection. You can use a regular pan, but it may not cook as evenly as you’d like. Feel free to substitute red onions with white, or adding other ingredients onto it. The beauty of this BBQ pizza is that you can mix and match to your taste, and even use different brands and types of barbecue sauce. It is also a great way to get the kids involved in making their own food, since they can construct the pizzas themselves. Make sure a parent is there to help with putting it in and out of the oven.
If you enjoyed this easy BBQ chicken pizza recipe, please send me a message or drop me a comment below. I would love to hear how my recipes have changed your ideas of what healthy food could be. Be happy and healthy!
Get the skillet used in this recipe video here!
HEALTHY BBQ PIZZA RECIPE
- Fire up the grill to high heat, at least 400F (if using the oven, pre-heat to 410F).
- Spray a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil, then wipe/pat it dry with a cloth but don’t completely wipe off the oil.
- Dust the inside of the skillet with almond or corn meal to prevent sticking when baking.
- Add the raw wheat pizza dough to the skillet and spread it out, using your fingers to make the outside crust slightly thicker (if desired of course).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pizza.
- Spray the outside crust with a little olive oil before placing on the grill or oven. Grill for about 15 minutes until the outside crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Slice, garnish and enjoy!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.