Egg & Turkey Stuffed Poblano
Here is my easy egg-stuffed poblano pepper recipe!
All you need for this recipe is eggs and egg whites, coconut cream or Greek yogurt, shallot, bell pepper, lean ground turkey or optionally ground beef, raw spinach, poblano peppers, shredded Monterey Jack, or reduced fat mozzarella cheese.
In a bowl mix eggs and egg whites with coconut cream of yogurt and set aside.
In a nonstick skillet add some olive oil, shallot, and bell pepper, and sear until the edges are golden brown. Toss in lean ground turkey, chop it up and fold everything. Season with dried oregano and cumin. After 5 minutes of cooking, add spinach and continue to stir for an additional 2 minutes. Now pour the eggs and egg whites and cook making scrambled eggs.
Remove the top of the poblano pepper and carefully remove the seeds. Fill them with the previously prepared egg and turkey mixture. Repeat the process with the rest of the poblano peppers.
Place the peppers in a baking dish, then fill the top of the peppers with Monterey Jack cheese. Bake them for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges are brown, and in the last minute, put the oven to broil to get brown and crispy peppers.
Serve while hot with tostada chips, cilantro, and fresh lime. Enjoy the wonderful combination of flavors!
Why I love these poblano peppers is the fact that they only contain 13 calories and almost zero fat when cooked. Amazing, huh?
And this meal has about 400 calories and even 32 grams of protein.
I am sure you will try this recipe once. And when you try it, come back here and tell me how you liked it in the comments below.
If you want to try out more stuffed pepper recipes, download the Fitmencook app and explore more amazing healthy recipes.
Egg & Turkey Stuffed Poblano
- Set oven to 400F.
- Beat eggs, egg whites and cream (or milk). Set aside.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil and set on medium heat. Add shallot and bell pepper once the skillet is hot. Sear for 3 minutes or until the edges are brown.
- Add lean ground turkey and chop it up in the skillet. While it cooks, add oregano and cumin. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and mix continuously so it wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high then pour in eggs. Using a spatula, pull the eggs across the skillet so it scrambles. Repeat this action until the eggs are cooked, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Horizontally skim the top of a poblano pepper to create a large pocket. Remove the seeds with a spoon. Stuff the pepper with the scrambled eggs. Repeat.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish, then top each one with (your choice of) cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges are brown. Pro-tip: for the final minute, set the oven to broil to brown the top of the peppers.
- Enjoy with tostada chips, cilantro and fresh lime.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.