Shishito Pepper Bison Burger
Have you ever thought there’s a healthy burger recipe? You should definitely try this healthy burger version with bison meat.
As we bid farewell to summer and welcome the cooler weather, I wanted to make one last burger while it’s still hot here in Texas and share my new bison burger recipe with you. To boost the flavors, I added grilled shishito peppers.
Now, between nopales and shishito peppers, it’s hard to determine which I love most; however, there’s something about shishito peppers that can liven any meal. No worries if you aren’t a fan of spicy food because they aren’t hot.
Shishito peppers are best grilled or roasted and lightly seasoned so as not to drown out the buttery, tangy flavors of the pepper. Eat the peppers by themselves or toss them on a burger.
Let’s jump to the recipe. Let’s start by firing up the grill and preparing all of the ingredients.
In a meantime, take a nonstick skillet on a heat and add olive or coconut oil. Toss in the shishito peppers and all the peppers to hear. Add seasonings and toss the peppers in it for a couple of minutes. Remember to ensure that all sides of the peppers are searing.
When it’s almost finished, add freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste. Then remove the finished peppers and set them aside.
Season the bison meat and form a patty. Place the patty on the grill and cook to desired readiness. Instead of grilling bison, cooking bison in a nonstick skillet is also a good alternative. Place a slice of cheese on top and allow it to melt on the patty in the final minutes of cooking.
I don’t recommend cooking rare meat because of the bacterial diseases. But if you’re sure about the meat you’re buying and you love rare or medium rare, go on!
Caramelize onions if you like them, or use fresh onions. Now build your ground bison burger and enjoy!
This is a real simple recipe, and also a healthier alternative. You should try it!
Shishito Pepper Bison Burger
- Fire up your grill and set it to 350F.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and add safflower oil. When the oil is hot, toss in the shishito peppers and all the peppers to hear. Add a few pinches of sea salt & pepper and garlic. Toss the peppers in the seasoning for about 2-3 minutes. Remember to ensure that all sides of the peppers are searing.
- In the final minute of cooking, add freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste.
- Remove the peppers from the heat and set aside.
- Season the bison meat and form a patty. Place the patty on the hot grill (or cook in a nonstick skillet) and cook to desired readiness. I personally recommend cooking wild game meat all the way through since some wild game has been known to carry bacterial diseases.
- Once the patty is nearly finished cooking on the grill, if desired, place a slice of cheese on top and allow it to melt on the patty in the final minutes of cooking.
- Build your burger and enjoy!
Approximate macros for 1 burger:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!