Wild Cajun Dirty Rice
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- OMIT if vegan and replace with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb 95% lean ground turkey (or veggie ground)
- 1/2 lb lean spicy ground sausage (or diced sausage if ground is unavailable)
- for vegans, use spicy soy chorizo
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons The Fit Cook Land seasoning
- SUBSTITUTE: 1 tablespoon dried thyme + 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- SUBSTITUTE: The Fit Cook Southern Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or flour of your choice)
- 2 cups no salt added chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- generous pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- fresh parsley
Cook wild rice according to the instructions given and set aside. Pro-tip: Instead of cooking the rice using water, use no salt added chicken or veggie broth.
Set a large skillet on medium high heat. Once hot, add bacon and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until fragrant and there is grease in the skillet.
Add the ground turkey and sausage and chop it up as it cooks in the skillet. Once all the meat has browned, about 6 – 8 minutes, then add in the spices and flour. Chop and mix it up for an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Do NOT worry if some of it begins sticking to the bottom of the skillet – just make sure it is not burning.
Once well mixed and fragrant, reduce the heat to LOW and pour in the broth. Bring the meat to a gentle simmer, add the bay leaves, then cover and cook for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, fold in the rice and the parsley. Mix and cover and cook for an additional 8 – 10 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid, remove the liquid and allow it to cook uncovered so some of the liquid can evaporate.
Remove from the heat, then garnish and serve!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!