Orange Chicken Meal Prep
Orange Chicken Meal Prep
Ingredients for 5 servings:
- 1 1/4lb raw chicken breast, chunks
- 1/3 cup wheat flour
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup (wheat) panko or wheat breadcrumbs
- Orange sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- juice from 3 oranges (~3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or paste
- OPTIONAL FOR ADDED FLAVOR – 1 tablespoon of peanut oil or sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, paste
- 1 tablespoon (or more) Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch + 1 tablespoon water
- Note: DO NOT MIX together until you add it to the skillet
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- green onion
- Meal Prep
- 5 cups steamed broccoli (each meal has 1 cup broccoli)
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice or jasmine rice (each meal has 1/2 cup brown rice)
- low sodium soy sauce to taste
Set oven to 420F.
Chop chicken breasts into nugget-size chunks (or tenders if desired).
Beat the egg whites until somewhat frothy. Then toss the chicken in the whole wheat flour, then egg whites and then the panko crumbs. Place the coated nuggets on a baking sheet or baking rack. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the outside is golden and crispy, and inside is white.
While it’s baking, mix together the ingredients for the sauce EXCEPT for the arrowroot starch.
Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat, then pour in the orange sauce. Bring it to a light simmer, then mix arrowroot starch with water and then pour it into the skillet. Stir immediately and quickly, then lower the heat and allow the sauce to thicken. Takes about 5 minutes.
Add the baked nuggets to a large bowl, then pour in the sauce. Toss the nuggets in the sauce and ensure they are all fully coated.
Garnish and enjoy immediately. If you’re making this for meal prep, add about 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice (or jasmine rice) and at least 1 cup of steamed broccoli. Season to taste with low sodium soy sauce.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!