Low Calorie Cajun Shrimp & Crab Burger
CAJUN SHRIMP BURGER
Ingredients for 6 burgers
- 1 1/2 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (RESERVE ~5 shrimp)
- 80z (227g) cooked crab meat (I used blue crab meat)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley, tightly packed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup wheat bread crumbs (or gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend
- Substitute: 1 tablespoon smoked paprika + 1 teaspoon chili powder + 1/2 teaspoon cumin + 1 teaspoon dried thyme + 1 teaspoon dried oregano + 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- spray olive oil
- 6 whole wheat buns
- 1 – 2 servings of cajun remoulade
- tomato slices
- onion slices
Place raw shrimp in a food processor or high powered blender – reserve about 5 shrimp. Pulse blend the shrimp into a fine, sticky mince. Empty the contents into a large bowl. Chop the 5 shrimp into chunks, then add to the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients for the patties to the bowl and mix well using your hands or a spatula. Evenly portion out 6 scoops of the batter and form into patties.
Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Once hot, spray with olive oil then add the patties. Cook on each side for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, being careful not to burn the burgers. TIP: for best results, cook on each side for 3 to 5 minutes, then place the burgers on a baking tray. Bake for 6 t0 8 minutes at 400F.
Build the burger with the remoulade! For a low carb version, roast your favorite vegetables, then enjoy the burger with the veggies.
Lighter Cajun Remoulade
Ingredients for 16oz (16 servings)
1 serving = 2 tablespoons
- Food Processor/Blender
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, chopped with white part
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup (6oz) 2% Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise or low calorie mayo
- 2oz (57g) bottle of capers (with liquid)
- 3 tablespoons The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend (or low sodium cajun seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons whole ground mustard
Place the ingredients under the Food Processor/Blender to a high powered blender or food processor. Pulse blend, do not pulverize, to chop and mix. The blend should be somewhat textured, not smooth.
Empty the contents into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Generously mix with a spatula. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Store in an airtight container or jar for up to 2 weeks.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!