Cajun Shrimp Corn & Potato Chowder
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1 1/2 lb jumbo shrimp
- 1 1/2 tablespoon The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend
- SUBSTITUTE: 2 teaspoons smoked paprika + 2 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano + pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon The Fit Cook Land blend
- SUB: Italian seasoning OR dried oregano
- 1/3 cup (oat) flour (use flour of your choice but NOT almond or other nut flours)
- 13.5 fl oz full fat coconut milk (OR lite coconut milk)
- 3/4 lb red potato, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup (frozen) corn
- fresh parsley
Fire up your grill to 350F – 400F.
Season shrimp with cajun seasoning and add them shrimp to (wooden) skewers. Once the grill is hot, add the shrimp and cook through. Once the shrimp has finished cooking, reduce the heat of the grill to medium (around 300-350F). Alternatively, cook the seasoned shrimp in the same pot as the soup and remove it once finished. Set aside once finished.
Set a soup pot on the grill and once hot, add oil, garlic, onion and celery. Saute until onions turn brown and translucent, about 2 – 3 minutes. Sprinkle in the Land herb seasoning as the veggies cook.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir for about 1 minute. Pour in the coconut milk and potato and stir everything together until thick, about 2 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth and stir and de glaze the bottom of the skillet (if necessary). Then cook on the closed grill for 20 minutes on low heat. Pro-Tip: add smoking wood chips to the fire to give the soup a smoky flavor.
After 20 minutes, or once the potatoes have softened to your desired liking, fold in the cooked shrimp and corn.
Cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld, then garnish, serve and enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!