Gluten Free Baked Penne Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1 eggplant, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon The Fit Cook Land seasoning (OR 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning)
- 8oz chickpea penne (OR wheat penne)
- 4 cups of water
- pinches of sea salt
- 32oz diced (fire roasted) tomatoes, no salt added or low-sodium
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 5oz mozzarella cheese (OPTIONAL)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil, finely chopped
Set oven to Broil (500F).
Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss cut veggies in a bowl with oil and seasoning. Then add the veggies to the baking tray. Roast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are seared and veggies are softened.
Set temperature to 400F.
Set a deep skillet on medium high heat, add about 4 cups of water along with pinches of sea salt to bring water to a boil. Add the pasta to the pot and cover to cook for 6 to 8 minutes. After about 5 minutes and the pasta has almost finished cooking, remove the top and let the majority of the water evaporate. Let about 25% remain (to guard against burning).
Reduce the heat to medium, then add the canned tomatoes, basil and roasted vegetables. Gently stir and fold the pasta and veggies together. Add mozzarella to the skillet, then cover it and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. For the final 5 minutes, remove the top and let the cheese brown a bit.
Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!