Healthy Hummus Quesadillas
Hummus is very popular as a dip or spread in Middle Eastern cuisine and for good reason. It’s absolutely delicious and can elevate any dish to the next level. That’s why we’ve decided to put together this hummus quesadillas recipe for you.
This blend of the Latin quesadillas, together with the Mediterranean-sourced hummus, is a perfect union in both the flavor and nutritional departments. It’s worth noting that hummus can also bring more flavor to simple vegan meals like black beans and rice.
Suppose you’re planning to make two chicken quesadillas and two mushroom quesadillas. In that case, you’re going to need the following ingredients: ¼ cup of homemade red pepper hummus, 10 oz of raw chicken breast, and a large portobello mushroom cap (chopped).
Note: I prefer to use roasted red peppers since roasted red pepper hummus is super easy to pair with other dishes.
You’ll also need four tablespoons of goat cheese, a small avocado (sliced into four pieces), four small multigrain tortillas, half a cup of chopped red onion, two tablespoons of minced garlic, coconut oil spray, and fresh cilantro and pico de gallo for your garnish.
Now that all the ingredients are in place, it’s time to spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set it on medium-high heat. Next up, sear a tablespoon of minced garlic in your skillet before tossing the chopped mushrooms in. Proceed to sear and cook them for roughly three minutes.
Make sure to stir with a quick tempo using your spatula to ensure that they don’t end up completely wilted. Afterward, set the mushrooms aside in a bowl. Repeat what you just did but this time, add chicken breast instead of mushroom.
It’ll take about 15 minutes, but you could cook for a longer or shorter time if the meat is already white when cut and all the juices run clear. Chop your fresh cilantro, thinly slice the red onions, then get the pit out of the avocado before slicing it as well.
Spread two tablespoons of red pepper hummus on your wheat tortillas. Afterward, add your chicken breast or mushrooms to one side of the tortilla. Be sure to top it off with some avocado, cilantro, thin red onion slices, and a tablespoon of goat cheese.
Once you’ve added all these ingredients in, fold your quesadilla in half. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil but this time, set it to medium heat. Let the skillet heat up for a bit, then drop the quesadillas in and cook them for about two minutes per side.
Use the spatula to flatten your quesadillas by pressing down. Once cooked, enjoy them with salsa, pico de gallo, or Greek yogurt for the perfect meal. Have a great time cooking this dish, fit foodies!
Healthy Hummus Quesadillas
- Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil spray and set on medium-high heat.
- Sear 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in the skillet, then toss in chopped mushrooms. Sear and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring quickly with a spatula so that the mushroom does not completely wilt. Set the mushroom aside in a separate bowl.
- Repeat Step 2 but instead of adding mushrooms, add chicken breast. Cook the chicken for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the meat is white when cut and the juices run clear.
- Chop vegetables. Thinly slice red onions, chop up fresh cilantro and remove the pit from the avocado and cut into thin slices.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) of red pepper hummus on each wheat tortilla.
- On one side of the tortilla, add half of chopped chicken breast (or half of sautéed mushrooms), a few red onion slices, one tablespoon goat cheese, a fourth portion of avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Fold the quesadilla in half.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Allow the skillet to heat up.
- Add the quesadilla to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure to press down on the quesadilla using a spatula so that it flattens out.
- Remove from the skillet and enjoy with fresh pico de gallo, Greek yogurt or salsa.
Approximate macros for 1 chicken quesadilla using 5oz raw chicken breast:
377 calories, 41g protein, 27g carbohydrates, 13g fat, 7g fiber, 3g sugar
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!