Here’s a quick & easy Asian-inspired meal prep recipe for those following a ketogenic diet.
Lamb is one of my favorite foods that I was able to add to my ketogenic diet because it is high in fat and a great source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLAs) and omega-6 fatty acids. CLAs is one of those supplements highly touted in the fitness industry for fat loss because studies have shown it is associated with reduced inflammation and body fat.
Roughly 40% of the fat in grass-fed lamb come from a monounsaturated fat which has been associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. Ok and let’s face it, lamb is darn tasty!
And no need to go on a scavenger hunt for the ingredients – I purchased all of the groceries at my local Kroger. If you don’t have one in your area, look for one of its affiliate stores!
Ingredients for 3 servings:
- 12oz ground lamb
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups cauliflower rice (medium head of cauliflower)
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas & carrot medley (or REMOVE if your carbohydrate intake is too high for the ketogenic diet)
- 1/3 cup fresh green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chinese 5 spice blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (or ginger paste)*
- 3 tablespoons low sodium Tamari
- spray extra virgin olive oil
- fresh chopped cilantro
- fresh chopped green onion
- Chop florets from head of cauliflower and place them in a food processor. Pulse blend until the cauliflower is a rice like substance. Empty the contents onto a heavy-duty paper towel, thin cloth or cheese cloth. Fold in the sides of the cloth and squeeze out as much water as possible from the cauliflower into a bowl. When finished, place the cauliflower rice in a bowl and set aside.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and spray with olive oil. Once the skillet is hot, add garlic and simmer for about a minute or two, careful not to let the garlic burn or brown.
- Toss in the ground lamb and chop and cook with a wooden spatula. Add green onions and cook until the lamb is nearly finished (about 2 minutes with few visible pink pieces).
- Add all the seasonings to the skillet EXCEPT the tamari. Mix it up and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and then toss in the cauliflower rice. Mix and cook for about 2 minutes, then toss in eggs. Chop and stir to ensure the eggs are fully cooked. This should take about 2 minutes. TIP: move cauliflower and lamb mixture to one side of the skillet and add the eggs to the empty side of the skillet. Chop up and cook the eggs on that side of the skillet and then mix it all together.
- Finally, add in frozen peas and carrots and allow the steam from the food to soften the peas and carrots. Mix it together then add Tamari sauce (and add less or more to taste).
- Mix together and garnish.
Approximate macros for 1 of 3 servings:
516 calories, 33g protein, 18g carbs, 34g fat, 6g fiber, 9g sugar