Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Want to save this recipe?
I got you! Just enter your email address, and I'll forward it to your inbox! Plus, you'll receive a bonus of healthful, "must-try" recipes each week!
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
With school officially back in session, I remember all too well the pressures of college life.
You’ve gotta juggle your academic life, your budding social life, extracurricular activities (so you can land that awesome job after graduation) and your finances…. Add to that list, managing your health and wellness, and making sure you can still fit into the same clothes at the end of the semester, and you’re pretty much swamped.
So, here’s a budget-friendly hearty tater tot breakfast casserole recipe to help you start your day. It has minimal ingredients and relatively minimal cooking – just chop, saute and bake!
Always remember to customize recipes so they compliment YOUR fitness goals. And this recipe is all about customization.
- For the protein you have both turkey and eggs. You can eat more or less turkey to boost the amount of protein in each individual serving, or you can use as many whole eggs or egg whites as you wish.
- Choose between veggie tots (cauliflower tots) or (sweet) potato tots. Both are delicious and nutritious, yet have very different macronutrient profiles. For a lower carbohydrate – yet filling – option, choose the veggie tots. For a more hearty option, choose the sweet potato tots, perfect as well for a post-workout (breakfast) meal.
The approximate cost of this tater tot breakfast casserole meal prep recipe for 4 – 5 servings (and more depending on your individual serving size) is less than $15.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients for 4 hearty servings:
- spray olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped (red) bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 12oz 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 4 whole eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 32 veggie cauliflower tots
- substitute: 36 sweet potato tots
Set oven to 420F.
Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil and set on medium-high heat. Sauté red onion and bell pepper for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is brown and translucent.
Add the ground turkey. Chop and cook it up in the skillet using a wooden or rubber spatula. While it cooks, add in the seasonings and a pinch of sea salt & pepper. Cook until the turkey is no longer visibly pink, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
Beat eggs and egg whites together in a bowl.
To a small baking tin – or 5×5 casserole dish (sprayed with olive oil) – add chopped spinach, a serving of the ground turkey mix and your serving of eggs. Add about 8 veggie tots (or 9 sweet potato tots) to the top, then sprinkle on about 1/4 cup cheddar. Repeat for the remaining tins.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the egg has fully cooked.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!