Panda Express Copycat Recipe – Beijing Seitan VS Beijing Beef
Ingredients for 3 Panda Express Copycat – Beijing Seitan Servings
Approximate serving size (226g)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or low sodium tamari or soy)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon red chili garlic sauce (or Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (natural) ketchup
- 3oz water (add more if you desire a thinner sauce)
- Seitan Marinade
- Juice from 1 can of chickpeas (aquafaba), about 2oz
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Cracked black pepper
- 8oz seitan, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch squares
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) arrowroot (or corn starch)
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- Sesame seeds
Mix together the ingredients for the sauce, season to taste with more aminos, then set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add the ingredients for the marinade, lightly mix, then add the thinly sliced beef. Let it marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, OR overnight in the fridge in an airtight container.
Once the beef has marinated, add the arrowroot to a sealable bag (or a bowl). Add each piece of flank to the arrowroot BUT MAKE SURE you shake off any excess liquid before adding to the bag. Shake the pieces in the bag to coat.
Place a nonstick skillet on medium high heat, and once hot, add the oil. Then add each piece of beef (without excess arrowroot flour so shake off each piece before adding). Sear and toss the beef in the skillet for 6 – 8 minutes until the edges are seared AND it’s cooked to your liking (i.e., cooked, rare medium, etc).
Set aside the beef in a bowl then increase the heat to high. Add the bell peppers and onions and sear for about 2 minutes until the edges have browned. Then reduce the heat to medium and add the beef back to the skillet. Toss everything together for 1 minute until mixed.
Pour in the sauce and toss everything together one more time.
Garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy with freshly steamed cauliflower rice, brown rice or a mixture of both!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!