Holiday Coconut Apple Crisp
Just in time for the holidays! Here’s a #FitMenCook spin on a holiday classic. All the great flavors and spices that you look for each season but with much less guilt of using tons of overly processed ingredients.
Ingredients for five 4.40z jars:
- Apple filling:
- 3 large granny smith apples
- ~1/8 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot starch)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (or zero calorie sweetener, this will change the macros)
- 3 tbsp raw, organic honey
- juice from 2 tangerines or mandarins
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice (optional)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or zero calorie sweetener, this will change the macros)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cinnamon, depending on preferences
Set oven to 375 F.
Core apples and chop into smaller pieces.
In a bowl, mix chopped apples with all of the ingredients of the pie filling. Stir with a spatula and set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix rolled oats with the ingredients of the pie crisp/crust.
Add apple mixture to jars or medium casserole baking dish, and top with the crust.
Bake in the oven for at least 30 minutes or until the top has browned and the apples are soft.
I enjoyed this with Arctic Zero 150 calorie ice cream.
Approximate Macros for 1 of 5 servings/jars:
Note: to lessen the amount of sugar in this recipe, you can use zero calorie sweetener and reduce the amount of raw, organic honey.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!