Chicken Tabbouleh Recipe With Roasted Veggies & Tahini
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 4 cups cooked bulgur wheat
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup chopped basil, tightly packed (optional)
- 1 shallot or 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Roasted Veggies
- 150g butternut squash, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch pieces
- 150g Brussels sprouts, quartered
- spray olive oil
- Chicken (or choice of protein)
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts, raw
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- Tahini sauce (optional but recommended – OMIT to reduce per serving calories by 108 and fat by 10g)
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 8 tablespoons warm water
- juice from 1/2 lemon (or more to taste)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
Set oven to 420F/216C.
Cook bulgur wheat according to the instructions given on the package. TIP: to add more flavor to the bulgur wheat, cook it using vegetable stock. Set aside and allow to cool once finished.
Place roasted veggies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spray with a little olive oil and add a pinch of sea salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp tender and the outside edges are browned slightly. Set aside to cool once finished.
In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the tabbouleh – except for the oil, garlic, herbs and lemon juice – using a wooden spatula. Mix together the oil, garlic, oregano, lemon and sea salt & pepper in a separate small bowl or cup. Add the roasted vegetables to the tabbouleh, then pour in the oil. Gently fold everything together.
Set a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Season the chicken breasts, spray the skillet with olive oil once hot, then add the chicken to the skillet. Sear the chicken on one side for 3 to 4 minutes, then flip the chicken over and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Mix together the ingredients for the tahini sauce, it should be creamy, thick yet somewhat runny. If you need it to be thinner, simply add tablespoons of water (or lemon) until you reach your desired consistency.
Build your meals and drizzle tahini sauce on top!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!