Lean Chicken & Rice Soup
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup leek, chopped (bulb only)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium The Fit Cook garlic & herb Land seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fennel powder (OPTIONAL)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper (OPTIONAL)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (or cornstarch) mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or Jasmine rice
- sea salt & pepper to taste
Set a heavy bottom pot on medium heat and once hot, add olive oil and sauté onion, leek, celery and garlic for 2 minutes. Then add the seasonings and bloom the spices for 2 minutes. Add carrots and stir.
Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a light simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to a low, gentle simmer and add the chicken breast and bay leaves. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
Remove the chicken breast with tongs and shred with forks. Add almond milk and arrowroot slushy and stir the pot to thicken. Add the rice and chicken back to the pot.
Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!