3 Lighter BuzzFeed Tasty Recipes
If you love BuzzFeed Tasty videos as much as I do, then you’ll enjoy these attempts to re-make those decadent recipes in a much more calorie-conscious way (while keeping the recipes pretty simple). Keep in mind these are still fairly high calories but contain significantly less fat and simple carbs than the original recipes. Enjoy!
My version of jalapeño popper burger swaps the cream cheese with goat cheese, and I was also using Greek yogurt, and reduced fat mozzarella cheese for some creaminess. I also used very lean beef.
Macros for my burger are 422 calories, 45 grams of protein, 27 grams of carbs and 15 grams of fats. So we cut both the calories and fat grams in half.
Banana upside down cakes are insanely good. But each slice has 691 calories, 5 grams of protein, 93 grams of carbs and 36 grams of fat. In my version, I made some substitutions. Instead of using white flour, I used some oatmeal, less banana, and of course I swapped refined sugar for coconut sugar.
One of the biggest changes in my version is portion control, by making this cake inside of the 8 muffin tins. That way you know exactly what you are eating. Each serving has about 377 calories, 5 gram of protein, 44 grams of carbs, and 21 grams of fats.
Write your comments below, as well as your ideas on how to make some of the tastiest recipes, such as chicken wings, garlic bread, cinnamon rolls or any other recipe, more calorie-conscious.
JALAPEÑO POPPER BURGER
For 4 burgers:
- 1 lb 96% lean (or more) ground beef (or choice of lean ground meat)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- sea salt & pepper
- 4 slices turkey bacon (from leg meat, nitrate free, uncured)
- 1 jalapeño
- 3oz goat cheese
- 1 heaping tablespoon 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella
- lettuce, tomato, spicy brown mustard
- whole wheat/grain bun
BANANA UPSIDE DOWN MUFFINS
for 8 muffins:
- 4 bananas (mashed)
- 1 banana (sliced)
- 2 cups oatmeal (blended into flour)
- 3 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Dairy-free Caramel:
- 1 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or you can use 1/3 cup coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- spray coconut oil
MASHED RED POTATO CUPS
- Mashed potatoes:
- ~650g red potatoes (baked with skin)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt
- sea salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella
- 1/3 cup green onions (chopped)
- 4 slices turkey bacon (chopped into bits once cooked)
- 1 tablespoon herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!