Fried Rice With Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other oil with a high smoke point such as grapeseed, tigernut or coconut; if not olive oil)
- pinches of sea salt & cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, fresh or paste
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup colorful bell peppers, chopped
- I used a combination of chopped red, yellow and orange bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (or low sodium tamari)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (toasted) sesame oil (or peanut oil) for fragrance
- fresh lime juice
If you do not have cooked rice, cook rice according to the instructions given. Then allow it to cool to room temperature or place in the fridge.
Set oven to 420F.
In a large bowl, mix together cut Brussels sprouts, olive oil and sea salt & pepper. Toss the sprouts so they are completely covered then dump them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are brown and crispy, and the sprouts are crisp-tender when pierced with a fork.
Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and once hot, add the olive oil, garlic and green onion. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes and be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add in the room temperature, OR cold, cooked brown rice and cook in the skillet for 2 minutes. Then, add bell peppers and the roasted Brussels sprouts. Fold everything together, then season with low-sodium soy sauce and chopped cilantro.
Mix everything together and reduce the heat to low. Drizzle sesame oil over the rice, gently fold and then serve.
Enjoy with your choice of protein! Here in this example, I enjoyed mine with grilled chicken breast seasoned with garlic, onion, thyme and sea salt & pepper.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!