Mushroom Bison Sliders
Try this quick and easy low-carb mushroom bison slider recipe I recently made.
Whether you’re gearing up for a big game, a party, or just a family dinner, sliders are always a hit. And if you’re trying to go a little lighter on the calories, then making healthy practical substitutions is a must. Swap ground meat for a leaner version and swap the bread buns for mushroom caps.
Of the ingredients, you will need lean ground bison meat, large mushroom caps, reduced fat sharp cheddar, tomato slices, maché rosettes, Dijon mustard, and some seasonings.
I used Spice Cave Fire & Land seasoning, but if you don’t find it, you can use smoked paprika and cayenne as a substitute. You will also need some green onion and chopped cilantro.
When choosing mushrooms, pay attention to the size and shape that would suit you best for the sliders.
It’s very simple to prepare this dish, but you have to be careful with the mushrooms. First, you need to wash them and gently scoop out the inside of the mushrooms with a spoon. Oil them and they are ready to grill. Grill them for a few minutes until soft and set aside to cool.
The next step is making bison patties. Mix the meat with the seasonings and form patties. Grill them for 10 minutes on one side, then turn them over and grill for a few more minutes, depending on the desired readiness. In the meantime, cut the cheese and put it over the patties towards the end of grilling and let the cheese melt.
Assemble burgers from grilled patties, mushroom caps, maché, tomato, and a bit of yellow mustard. Fasten them with wooden sticks so they don’t fall apart, and serve while still warm.
Enjoy the meal, and be sure to leave a comment on how you liked the taste of low-carb bison burger sliders!
Mushroom Bison Sliders
- Set grill or oven to 350F.
- Mix ground bison with the seasonings and form into 8 small patties.
- Thoroughly wash the mushrooms. Chop the stem off the mushroom caps. Using a small knife or spoon, carefully scrape out the inner black portion of the mushroom caps. Spray the caps with a little olive oil, then toss them face down on the grill or in the oven for no more than 8 minutes. This will help soften them a bit.
- Add the bison patties to the grill and cook for about 10 minutes. Then, flip them over to cook for another 5 minutes or so (to desired readiness).
- Cut each cheese slice into 4 equal squares, then place the square of cheese on each slider and let the cheese melt on the slider for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Assemble the slider. Squeeze a bit of Dijon into one of the caps, then add maché (lettuce), 1 tomato slice, the bison patty and then top with the other mushroom cap. Skewer with a toothpick or wooden stick if needed.
Approximate Macros for 1 slider:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!