Lighter Moroccan Chicken & Veggie Tagine
Moroccan Chicken Tagine Recipe
- In your tagine (or Dutch oven pot), place ALL of the ingredients for the chicken but DO NOT place it on the heat yet. Gently and thoroughly rub the chicken in the seasoning and the onions. Make sure the chicken is in direct contact with the bottom of the tagine, not on top of onions.
- Place the tagine on medium high heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Monitor to ensure it is not burning, and if needed, simply flip the chicken over if it is cooking too fast (and reduce the heat to Medium).
- After 10 minutes, begin to place the VEGGIES on top of the chicken, carefully forming a pyramid. Place veggies that take the longest to cook on bottom such as the potato and squash, then zucchini and olives.
- Top it off with cilantro and parsley and a generous pinch of sea salt & pepper. Squeeze the juice from ½ lemon over the food, then place the squeezed lemon right on top.
- Cover the tagine (or Dutch oven pot) and place on low-medium heat. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked through to crisp-tenderness.
- Enjoy the chicken tagine directly FROM the tagine, using pulled pieces of wheat pita bread or flatbread to grab the food (remember the chicken is on the bottom).
- Alternatively, you can place the tagine on a large platter and enjoy it with rice (or bread).
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.