Lean Tandoori Chicken Kabobs
Kabobs are always a fun dish to prep but you haven’t truly had kabobs until you’ve tried our Tandoori chicken kabobs or Tandoori chicken kebabs if you prefer. However you want to spell it, there’s no denying that this are one of the tastiest ways to get your daily dose of protein.
Start by getting a pound of raw chicken breasts. This should be enough to prepare six chicken skewers but you can also get more chicken if you want to prepare a chicken kebab for each member of the family.
For the Tandoori sauce, you’ll need ¾ cup of 2% Greek yogurt, the juice from one large lemon, 1.5 tablespoons of smoked paprika, a tablespoon of minced garlic or garlic paste depending on your preference, a tablespoon of fresh cumin, a tablespoon of fresh ginger, and some Himalayan pink salt.
You’ll also need a teaspoon of chili powder, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, allspice, and some pepper to go with it. The garnish is fairly simple since all you need for it is cilantro and thinly sliced red onion.
Start with Chicken Kabobs
To get started, trim off the fat from your raw chicken breasts before cutting the breasts into long slender pieces. Set aside these tenders then mix all the Tandoori sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Season to taste with the salt and pepper until you’re satisfied with the ratio.
Add in your chicken breast tenders and stir them with a spatula to ensure that they’re all thoroughly covered by the mix. Cover up your bowl and let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Eight hours is the bare minimum but going all the way up to 24 hours would be better.
Soak your wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes before you assemble the kabobs. This is done to ensure that they don’t burn when you grill tandoori chicken. Pierce the tenders lengthwise so that two tenders cover 80% of the entire skewer.
Set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then put your kabobs on a baking rack — or baking sheet if you don’t have one. Bake it for around eight minutes. After the first eight minutes, flip the kabobs over and cook for an additional 11 minutes.
Remove the kabobs from your oven, add your garnish mix, and voila you have a delicious meal that’s rich in protein! If you want others to experience the unique flavor of Tandoori chicken then be sure to share this recipe with friends and family, fit foodies!
Lean Tandoori Chicken Kabobs
Ingredients for up to 4 servings (or up to 6 skewers):
- 1lb raw chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Himalayan pink salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 .5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- thinly sliced red onion
- NuWave Oven
- Wooden kabob skewers
- Trim the fat from raw chicken breasts. Then, cut the chicken breasts into long slender pieces to create tenders and set aside.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the tandoori sauce in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add the chicken breast tenders and stir with a spatula, ensuring that all of the tenders are covered. Cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator over night in order to let the chicken marinate. At least 8 hours but better at up to 24 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes prior to assembling the kabobs in order to keep them from burning when baking in the oven or grilling.
- Assemble the kabobs by piercing the chicken tenders length-wise so that 2 tenders can cover about 80% of the skewer.
- If you are using the NuWave Oven, simply set the grill 3-inches from the bottom and place the kabobs on the grill. Set the oven to 350F and select “Cook Time” and set the timer to 8 minutes. If you are using a traditional oven, set the oven to 350F. For best results, place the kabobs on a baking rack. If you do not have one, simply place the kabobs on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, turn the kabobs on the other side and cook for an additional 11 minutes. If you are using a traditional oven, follow the same steps and flip the kabobs after 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the kabobs from the NuWave Oven, or traditional oven, and garnish with fresh lemon juice, thinly sliced red onions and freshly chopped cilantro.
Approximate macros for 4 servings:
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.