Keto Bison Meatballs
Bison meat is a healthy red meat similar to beef but has less calories and fat which means bison meatballs are the perfect alternative to classic meatball recipes for leading healthy lives. This bison meatball recipe uses ground bison and dried or chopped fresh herbs for an absolutely delicious dish that keeps you on your keto diet.
In order to reduce the carb intake, almond flour is used in place of bread crumbs and each meatball is wrapped in bacon for the ultimate finger food. The onion is first caramelized in some olive oil on the stove to give the meatballs a hint of sweetness. Use red onion if you want the flavor to be a bit more concentrated. Serve it with greek yogurt sauce or marinara sauce. You can switch it up and use an Italian seasoning blend and simmer it in some tomato sauce. Done that way, you can cook it in an instant pot or crockpot, warm and waiting for you when you get home from work. Some finely chopped cilantro or fresh basil as garnish will make this dish divine.
The best part is that you can prepare a lot of it and then pack for lunch the next day, or freeze portions of it for easy weeknight dinners. These do great as appetizers at a holiday potluck, or skewered and grilled on the barbecue in the summer. If you needed keto game night finger foods, this is the recipe for that. If you find that it falls apart too easily, you can add an egg as a binder (but it should not need it at all.)
I hope you enjoyed this easy bison meatball recipe. If you did, please send me a message or drop me a comment below. I would love to hear how my recipes have changed your ideas of what healthy food could be. Be happy and healthy!
Keto Bison Meatballs
- Set oven to 400F.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil and red onion. Saute the onions until they are carmelized.
- Add the onions to a bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix and mash them up with a fork.
- Form small meatballs with your hands, about 8 ping pong ball-sized meatballs.
- Wrap each meatball in 1 strip of bacon and place it flap-side down on a baking sheet/rack.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 400F. For the last 2-3 minutes of baking, set the temperature in the oven to broil so the outside gets a little crispy.
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 meatballs:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!