Here’s a quick 15-minute spin on a popular comfort food, Pad Kee Mao. It’s a delicious shrimp and noodle stir-fry drenched in savory, spicy sauce. While there are several version out there – some with more vegetables, others with a different base sauce, etc – the end result will always be the same…Delicious!
HEALTHY PAD KEE MAO RECIPE
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3/4 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce mixed with 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lime zest (shavings from lime skin)
- 1 tablespoon Thai chili sauce
- 16oz Shirataki noodles
- fresh basil, small handful (about 12-15 leaves)
- fresh lime juice
- Set a nonstick wok on medium heat. Add oil and garlic. Lightly brown the garlic for about 1 minute.
- Add the raw shrimp to the wok and cook until the outside edges of all the shrimp are pink, about 3-4 minutes.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl, then add it to the wok. Cook for about 1 minute as the egg begins to cook and settle.
- Then add tomatoes, fish sauce, soy, lime zest and chili sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the tomatoes have created their own paste and sauce.
- Add shirataki noodles and gently fold.
- Add fresh basil, fold and enjoy!
Approximate macros for 1 of 2 servings:
295 calories, 15g carbohydrates, 12g fat, 30g protein, 5g fiber, 6g sugar