Ultimate Slow Cooker Lasagna
If you are a slow cooker lover like me, you will be amazed by this slow cooker lasagna recipe.
One of my most popular recipes is the turkey and zucchini lasagna in jars. It was pretty dope for meal prep and not to mention delicious.
But lately I’m in love with my slow cooker, and lately I’ve been challenging myself to create (and recreate) some epic recipes the device.
So here’s a “slow cook” version of a family classic and FitMenCook favorite!
The most important ingredients you will need are lean ground beef, zucchinis, tomato sauce, vine tomatoes, cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. Let’s get started with the prep.
You’ll want to start by preparing zucchini. Cut into thin slices to make it easier to cut into nickel-sized strips. Make sure to pick up excess water from the zucchini with a kitchen paper towel.
The next step is to prepare the ground beef in a skillet. First, add garlic and brown and after a couple of minutes add meat. Season to taste and cook for about 10 minutes or until you notice it’s cooked.
Toss in tomatoes and tomato sauce to the beef, cover and cook for 5 more minutes on medium heat.
Now, we can start building the lasagna. Use olive oil to spray the slow cooker and start arranging the ingredients. First, add meat, then zucchini and top with the goat cheese mixture with white eggs. Repeat this process as long as you have the ingredients.
The last layer is mozzarella cheese and basil if you like its aroma. Set the slow cooker on medium heat and cook. It takes 4 hours to cook at that temperature.
This is my favorite lasagna recipe, and I can tell you that I often prepare it, especially for friends. If you have tried this great recipe, make sure to share your result in the comments below.
Ultimate Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Prepare the zucchini. Using a mandolin make thin slices of zucchini to cut strips. Slightly larger than the thickness of a nickel. IMPORTANT TIP: after you cut the zucchinis it is very important that you allow them to dry on a paper towel for about 20 minutes. Why? They tend to carry a lot of water and if you don’t, you’ll end up with a lot of water liquid in the slow cooker from both the steam and the zucchini.
- Prepare the meat. Spray a skillet with olive oil and set on medium high heat. Toss in garlic and brown for about 2 minutes. Next, toss in the meat and chop and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the seasonings to the meat and continue to chop and cook until the meat is fully cooked, about another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add tomatoes and tomato sauce to the meat. Stir thoroughly and ensure there are no large chunks of ground meat. If so, chop them up with a wooden spatula. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix together egg whites and cottage cheese in a bowl and set aside.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with olive oil and build the lasagna. Add a little meat sauce and then zucchini strips, cottage cheese mixture and then repeat.
- Add meat sauce to the top layer of zucchini strips and then cover with mozzarella. If desired you can toss in basil for extra flavor and aroma.
- Cook for about 4 hours on normal/medium heat. After it has finished, in some cases, there may be a small layer of water covering the top layer of cheese. It is likely from steam and water from the tomatoes and zucchinis. Just scoop it out using a measuring cup or large spoon.
- Slice and serve.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 hearty servings:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!