×

Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes with Avocado Salsa

About the author

FitMenCook

My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is truly a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and enjoying adequate exercise. By experimenting in the kitchen and openly sharing my meals, I learned that healthy eating is hardly boring and that by making a few adjustments, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my personal fitness goals. Our bodies are built in the kitchen and sculpted in the gym.

logo

Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes

Ingredients

Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes
Ingredients for 8 cakes

  • 10oz raw, fresh center-cut salmon filet with skin
  • 2 medium baked sweet potato or yam (about 1 1/2 cups flesh), chilled or completely cooled to room temperature
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder (OR 1 teaspoon cumin + 2 teaspoons smoked paprika + 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (OPTIONAL)
  • pinch of sea salt & pepper
  • 1/4 cup chickpea panko (or almond flour to keep this gluten-free; otherwise just use regular panko or breadcrumbs)
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 8 cups mixed greens
Steps
  1. Set oven to  400F.
  2. Poke a few holes in sweet potatoes, then wrap in foil.  Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until soft.  Once complete, unwrap them and place in the fridge/freezer to quickly cool down to at least room temperature.
  3. Carefully remove the skin from the salmon with a sharp knife.  Slice it into 2 pieces – 25% and 75%.  For the 75% portion, finely chop and MINCE the salmon using the sharp knife. Chop until it’s sticky.  For the remaining 25%, chop it into small chunks about 1/4-inch in size.  See this example.
  4. Add the salmon to a bowl along with the remaining ingredients (except the oil).  Mix well. If the mixture is too wet and not firm enough to stick together, add tablespoons of almond flour or panko until it gets firm.
  5. Scoop out oversized golf ball size balls of the mixture, roll into balls and then gently flatten to create patties.  Repeat.
  6. For best results, let the patties rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes to firm up.
  7. Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat.  Once hot, add avocado oil – add the individual patties and cook on each side for 2 -3 minutes each, then place on a cooling rack once finished.  Note: If you are making large patties for burgers, then cook them on each side for 3 – 5 minutes, then place the burgers on a baking tray lined with parchment to bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes to ensure they are adequately cooked through.
  8. Enjoy the mini patties with a chopped mixed greens and avocado salsa.
    Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes

Download the fitmencook app

Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.

  • logo
  • logo
Calories
201
Protein
17g
Fat
6g
Carbs
21g
Sodium
Fiber
6g
Sugar
6g
logo

Avocado Salsa

Ingredients

Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes
Ingredients for 4 servings

  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil (optional but recommended)
  • 2 ripe avocados, diced
  • 4 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • fresh lime juice to taste
  • sea salt & pepper to taste
Steps

Place all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.   Store in an airtight container to preserve freshness.

Calories
Protein
Fat
Carbs
Sodium
Fiber
Sugar
About the author

FitMenCook

My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is truly a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and enjoying adequate exercise. By experimenting in the kitchen and openly sharing my meals, I learned that healthy eating is hardly boring and that by making a few adjustments, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my personal fitness goals. Our bodies are built in the kitchen and sculpted in the gym.