Order Meals
Home > Recipes > Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes With Avocado Salsa

Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes With Avocado Salsa

Want to save this recipe?

I got you! Just enter your email address, and I'll forward it to your inbox! Plus, you'll receive a bonus of healthful, "must-try" recipes each week!


Recipe 1


Prep 45min
Cook 10min
Total 55min

Ingredients for 8 cakes

  • 10oz raw, fresh center-cut salmon filet with skin
  • 2 medium baked sweet potato or yam (about 1 1/2 cups flesh), chilled or completely cooled to room temperature
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder (OR 1 teaspoon cumin + 2 teaspoons smoked paprika + 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (OPTIONAL)
  • pinch of sea salt & pepper
  • 1/4 cup chickpea panko (or almond flour to keep this gluten-free; otherwise just use regular panko or breadcrumbs)
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 8 cups mixed greens


Step 1

Set oven to 400F.

Step 2

Poke a few holes in sweet potatoes, then wrap in foil. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until soft. Once complete, unwrap them and place in the fridge/freezer to quickly cool down to at least room temperature.

Step 3

Carefully remove the skin from the salmon with a sharp knife. Slice it into 2 pieces – 25% and 75%. For the 75% portion, finely chop and MINCE the salmon using the sharp knife. Chop until it’s sticky. For the remaining 25%, chop it into small chunks about 1/4-inch in size. See this example.

Step 4

Add the salmon to a bowl along with the remaining ingredients (except the oil). Mix well. If the mixture is too wet and not firm enough to stick together, add tablespoons of almond flour or panko until it gets firm.

Step 5

Scoop out oversized golf ball size balls of the mixture, roll into balls and then gently flatten to create patties. Repeat.

Step 6

For best results, let the patties rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes to firm up.

Step 7

Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat.  Once hot, add avocado oil – add the individual patties and cook on each side for 2 -3 minutes each, then place on a cooling rack once finished.  Note: If you are making large patties for burgers, then cook them on each side for 3 – 5 minutes, then place the burgers on a baking tray lined with parchment to bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes to ensure they are adequately cooked through.

Step 8

Enjoy the mini patties with a chopped mixed greens and avocado salsa.

Recipe 2

Avocado Salsa

Prep 10min
Total 10min

Ingredients for 4 servings

  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil (optional but recommended)
  • 2 ripe avocados, diced
  • 4 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • fresh lime juice to taste
  • sea salt & pepper to taste


Step 1

Place all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Store in an airtight container to preserve freshness.

(Based on 0 reviews)


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate the recipe:


Prep 55min
Cook 10min
Total 1h 5min
Total Calories: 201cal
Total Carbs: 21g
Total Fats: 6g
Total Protein: 17g
Total Fiber: 6g
Total Sugar: 6g
About Kevin - author


Hey, I'm Kevin

My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.

By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!