Reimagined Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
LIGHTER POPEYES CHICKEN SANDWICH
Ingredients for 2 Popeyes Chicken Sandwich servings
- 12oz raw chicken breasts, roughly 6oz each
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons The Fit Cook Southern Seasoning (OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder + 1 teaspoon onion powder + 2 teaspoon smoked paprika + 2 teaspoons dried oregano + 1 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup (gluten free) panko + 2 teaspoons dried oregano + pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 2 eggs (or 2 egg whites), lightly beaten
- 2 whole grain hamburger buns (I used Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 6 pickle slices
- 2 thin slices large tomato
- 4 green or Romaine lettuce leaves
- OPTIONAL – coleslaw (see recipe below)
- OPTIONAL – spicy sauce (see recipe)
Set air fryer (or oven) to 400F/204C.
Lightly spray chicken breasts with oil then season with The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend (or spice combination). Allow to marinate at room temperature for 15 – 20 minutes, or cover and marinate in the fridge for longer or overnight.
Mix panko, oregano and salt & pepper on a plate.
Beat eggs in a bowl.
Dip the chicken breast in the egg, shake off any excess egg, then dip the chicken in the panko and press it into the crumbs. Place the chicken on the air fryer basket (or on a baking tray lined with parchment). Air fry or bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until the outside is golden crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
Build the burger! Add lettuce, tomato, the air fried chicken and pickles. It’s up to you if you’d like to add coleslaw and any sauce.
Spicy Sandwich Sauce
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 tablespoons reduced fat olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (or more/less to taste)
Mix together the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with sea salt & pepper as needed.
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 1/2 cups red/purple cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Juice from 1 large orange (or 2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage and carrots. Pour in the sauce and toss together. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!