Mexican Shakshuka – Mediterranean Breakfast
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (OR paprika)
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced or roasted tomatoes
- SUBSTITUTE: 2 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 can (7oz) tomato sauce, no-salt-added
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 4 whole eggs
- Fresh chopped parsley OR cilantro
- Make it even better:
- Toss in fresh spinach leaves while the sauce is simmering
- Enjoy with whole wheat toast or roasted sweet potato cubes or slices
Set oven to 400F/204C.
Set a skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, garlic, onion, bell pepper, coriander, cumin and chili powder. Sauté for a few minutes until fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes
Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to medium, stir and bring to a light simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Make 4 holes in the skillet and crack an egg inside each hole.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your desired readiness.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy with whole grain toast.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!