Harissa Meatballs & Stuffed Pita
SAVORY SPICED HARISSA MEATBALLS
Ingredients for 5 servings (15 meatballs, 3 per serving)
- 1lb 90% lean ground lamb (OR you can use a leaner choice of ground meat to reduce calories)
- 1/2lb 95% lean ground beef (OR you can use the same ground meat)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Harissa paste/sauce
- spray avocado or olive oil
- 1 cup plain 2% (Greek) yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Harissa paste
- juice from 1 lemon
- fresh parsley or cilantro
Set oven to 400F.
In a bowl, thoroughly mix together the ingredients for the meatballs using your hands or a spatula. Form 15 – 16 small golfball sized (or smaller) meatballs.
Set a skillet on high heat, once hot spray with oil, then add the meatballs. Sear the meatballs on the outside for 1 – 2 minutes. Note: if your skillet is too small to hold all the meatballs, sear them in batches and add them to a baking tray lined with parchment.
Once the meatballs have been seared, place them in the oven to cook through for 8 to 10 minutes. Then set aside and garnish.
While the meatballs are baking, mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
Enjoy the meatballs with the dipping sauce, or make a loaded Harissa meatball pita! (see below)
Stuffed Harissa Meatball Pita
Ingredients for 1 pita
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 1 serving (three) Harissa meatballs
- 1 serving (three) tablespoons Harissa sauce
- 2/3 cup fresh raw arugula
- 3 slices Roma tomato
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese or feta cheese
Spread Harissa sauce on the pita, add the remaining ingredients to the pita, then fold it closed.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!