Double Chocolate Muffins Recipe
Want to save this recipe?
I got you! Just enter your email address, and I'll forward it to your inbox! Plus, you'll receive a bonus of healthful, "must-try" recipes each week!
Are you struggling with intense cravings for sweet foods after morning workouts? Good news! Here’s another low-carb sweet treat that will surely satisfy your sweet tooth — double chocolate protein muffins!
While we’re on diet, we tend to crave foods that we love eating. It motivated me to come up with ways to enjoy my favorite dishes without derailing my wellness and fitness goals by making healthier versions of it. And trust me, it can be tricky sometimes, but it’ll be so rewarding if you do it correctly.
These guilt-free chocolate protein muffins are flavorful and simple. It’s moist, chocolatey, and filling protein muffins! You can also add chocolate chips if you want. And guess what. You’re going to be amazed by how quick and easy it is to make this treat.
Here are my tips to remember when making a chocolate muffin:
- Use less butter and oil. Use applesauce and zucchini instead to give flavor and moist the double chocolate muffin.
- Drain/squeeze out excess water from the grated zucchini. It has a water content that can help keep the baked product moist.
- Don’t add too much chocolate protein. It tends to harden when heated and will result in dry, hard baked goods. You can add Greek yogurt and egg whites if you want to boost the protein. Please consider using a tad less flour since, in some instances, it can also counteract protein.
- Watch the added sugar. Many of the whey powder powders already have natural sweeteners, so it may not be necessary to add sugar.
Are you excited to try these double chocolate muffins? What are you waiting for? Add this now on your muffins recipe list and start sharing it with your family and friends!
Remember to leave a comment or send me an email on how this treat turned out for you and how you enjoyed it with your loved ones! Have a great day!
Double Chocolate Muffins Recipe
Makes 8 large muffins
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 scoops chocolate isolate whey (I used MAN Sports Clean Protein – Chocolate)
- 1/3 cup cacao or 60%+ dark chocolate powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup grated zucchini (squeezed)
- 1/3 cup 60%+ dark chocolate chips/nibs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Garnish (optional)
- 1 or 2 dark chocolate chips/nibs on top of each muffin
- Swerve zero calorie confection sugar
Set oven to 350F.
Grate a medium zucchini until you can fill about 1 cup with the shavings. Wrap the zucchini in a cloth towel (or cheesecloth) and squeeze the water out of it. Set it aside.
Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Then, beat eggs, coconut oil and coconut sugar together in a separate bowl. Add the remaining listed wet ingredients and stir/fold everything together.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and fold everything together. Be careful not to over stir the batter.
Fold in grated zucchini, chocolate chips and almond milk (add more tablespoons of almond milk if the batter is too thick).
Spray a muffin mold with nonstick cooking spray, then evenly divide the batter among the molds. If desired, add 1 or 2 chocolate nibs on top of each muffin.
Bake between 22 and 25 minutes, or until you can pierce the muffin with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!