High-Protein Breakfast Casserole
If you’re determined to get in shape so you can start living your best life then you might be looking for a high-protein breakfast that’s low carb while being hearty enough to keep you energized throughout even the most rigorous of workouts.
Meal prep is almost as important as your exercise regimen itself which is why we’ll be helping you prepare some delicious and healthy breakfast casseroles today. First, let’s gather all the necessary ingredients.
Grab five eggs, 10 egg whites, a large chopped zucchini, two diced red bell peppers, a cup of chopped Portobello mushrooms, ⅓ cup of skim milk, a quarter cup of reduced-fat cheddars two diced sweet potatoes, and ¾ lbs 93% lean ground turkey.
To ensure the best flavor, you’ll want to add a tablespoon of garlic which you can either mince or paste depending on your preference along with a tablespoon of Italian seasoning. Also, grab some salt and pepper to taste when your casserole is done cooking.
Now that we’ve got all of our ingredients ready it’s time to set the oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread out your diced sweet potatoes evenly onto a baking sheet then leave them in the oven for roughly 15 minutes to get them thoroughly baked.
While you’re baking those sweet potatoes, use the time to prepare the eggs and ground turkey. Use a nonstick skillet set to medium-high heat then toss in your turkey first. Add in your Italian seasoning and garlic to the skillet then chop and stir.
Within six to eight minutes, the meat should be no longer pink. That’s your signal that it’s been completely cooked and you can remove it from the heat. Beat your eggs together in a bowl together with the skim milk and a few pinches of salt and pepper as well.
Add the cooked ground turkey, baked sweet potatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and egg mix along with the reduced-fat cheddar into an 8×8 casserole dish (or one of similar size), bake in the oven for 25 minutes at the same temperature, and voila!
How you start your day largely influences how the rest of your day will go! So, start your day off right with a hearty breakfast! Try my simple and protein-packed breakfast casserole – and yes, it has sweet potato (but, you can substitute for red potato)!
Pair this with a glass of milk for an extra protein boost!
See how other people are getting in their daily dose of protein by following the hashtag #MyMorningProtein on Twitter and Instagram. And go here for more protein recipes & tips using milk – good way to start the day!
High-Protein Breakfast Casserole
- 3/4lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 sweet potatoes (~360g, diced; you can also use red potato)
- 5 eggs
- 10 egg whites
- 1 large zucchini (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- 1 cup chopped Portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced or paste)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- sea salt & pepper to taste (after it is cooked)
- Set oven to 420F.
- Dice raw sweet potatoes into small pieces and spread them out on a baking sheet. Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the ground turkey and eggs. Set a (nonstick) skillet on medium-high heat and toss in turkey. Add garlic and Italian seasoning to the skillet and chop and stir. Once the meat is completely cooked and no longer pink (about 6-8 minutes), remove it from the heat.
- In a bowl beat together eggs, skim milk and a few pinches of sea salt & pepper.
- In a large casserole dish (8×8) or individual baking tins, add the cooked ground turkey, sweet potato, zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper. Finally, pour in the eggs and top with reduced fat cheddar.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 420F.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!