Dorm Masterchef: 7 Easy & Healthy Microwave Recipes
When all you have is a microwave, it can be a little daunting to think about being able to cook your own meals. While it’s not ideal, the microwave can crank out some pretty awesome (and calorie-conscious) meals!
Here is a follow-up article on the 4 Dorm Room Recipe video from 2 years ago!
Remember, you should always customize recipes to complement your nutrition and fitness goals.
Microwave "Baked" Berry Oatmeal (Cobbler)
- Spray a tall coffee mug with coconut oil.
- Add oatmeal, a tablespoon of milled flax seed, some cinnamon, almond milk, an egg and then lastly raw honey (or Stevia in the raw) in a mug.
- Mix it up then toss in fresh or frozen blueberries, then gently mix together.
- Place the mug in the microwave for 3 minutes but check it after 2 minutes of cooking to ensure it doesn’t bubble over and make a mess.
- Careful when handling – it’ll be pretty hot. Enjoy the oatmeal by itself or with milk, Greek yogurt or almond butter.
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!
- Season lean ground beef or turkey with garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, sea salt & pepper, red onion and parsley. Mix it up.
- Slice a bell pepper in half and carve out the inside.
- Place the halves in small microwave-safe bowls and add a few tablespoons of water to the bowl to help the bell pepper soften while it cooks.
- Next, stuff the bell pepper halves and microwave for 3.5 minutes.
- After that, if desired, add a little reduced fat cheddar or mozzarella on top and microwave again for another minute. Note: If you want to avoid cheese, try adding a little chunky marinara on top.
- Enjoy with a complex carbohydrate such as brown rice or quinoa.
- Add about 2 cups of water to uncooked macaroni in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Toss in a few teaspoons of sea salt, then place the macaroni in the microwave with a plate on top for about 5 minutes.
- After that, stir it up and cook for another 3 minutes and check to make sure the macaroni is fully cooked.
- Then, let’s take out some of the macaroni water, leaving just about 1/8 cup in the bowl with the macaroni.
- Then, add some Greek yogurt and goat cheese crumble and stir. Then sprinkle in some onion powder, garlic & pepper.
- In a bowl, add cacao powder, wheat or oat flour, Greek yogurt, coconut sugar and a little water.
- Mix it up, then add some crushed walnuts and optional dark chocolate chips for that extra chocolate goodness. If you find the batter is TOO thick, no worries, just add tablespoons of water until it loosens up.
- Spray a small microwave-safe bowl with coconut oil and pour in the batter. And just for kicks add a few walnuts and chocolate chips on top.
- Place it in the microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes, then allow the brownie to cool for a minute or 2 before enjoying.
- Kick the flavors up a notch by adding a few pinches of sea salt, then enjoy!
- In a bowl, season turkey with Italian or herb seasoning, garlic, smoked paprika, green onion and sea salt & pepper. Mix it up, then form a patty.
- Next, slice the bacon in half and then let’s create a mini-bacon grid for our burger.
- Cook the bacon in the microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes, careful not to let it burn. Allow the bacon to then cool and harden.
- Place the patty in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes. After that, place a slice of cheddar on top and cook for an additional 30 to 45 seconds.
- Lastly, assemble the burger.
- Dijon, lettuce, tomato, the patty and the bacon grid.
- For a lower carb solution, use Portobello mushroom caps instead of whole wheat buns.
- First, cook some instant brown rice in the microwave.
- Crack some eggs in a bowl, then add garlic, low sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Beat it all together, and if you can get it, add a little ginger paste as well.
- Pour the cooked rice in a large glass bowl, then top it with frozen peas and carrots and few tablespoons of chopped red onion.
- Place the bowl in the microwave with a paper plate on top and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then pour in the egg mixture, stir and then cook it again for about 2 minutes.
- Let it slightly cool, then stir it up and enjoy.
- Mix together powdered peanut butter with a few tablespoons of water.
- Then add a little low sodium soy sauce, raw honey and sriracha. Mix it up and set it aside.
- Then, season chicken breast tenders with cumin, sea salt & pepper. Carefully skewer each tender with a wooden stick, then place the kabob over a microwave-safe bowl.
- Spray the meat with olive oil, then cook in the microwave for 2.5 minutes.
- After that, check on the chicken to ensure it is not burning, then cook it for another 2.5 to 3 minutes.
- Finally, check it one last time to make sure the chicken is completely cooked.
- Then, spice it up a bit with some red pepper flakes.