Creamy Dairy Free Chicken Pasta
Have you been craving pasta with chicken and alfredo sauce but something is stopping you? Lactose intolerance? Trying to cut down on weight? Well, you’re in luck because we have a low carb and dairy-free chicken pasta recipe for you! Packed with different vitamins and minerals, this easy meal is a fettuccine alfredo pasta that uses coconut milk as a dairy milk alternative. Not to mention, it’s mixed with different vegetables and chicken to make it even more deliciously nutritious.
Cooking the pasta noodles
The first step is to cook your pasta. You will need 6 ounces (170g) of uncooked fettuccine pasta. You can other pasta noodles if you prefer. First, boil some water in a pot then add the pasta once the water starts bubbling. Strain the noodles once they’re al dente.
Preparing the dish
Now, it’s time to prepare your chicken. Use a few pinches of sea salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary (optional) to season a pound (454g) of chicken breasts. Try to rub the spices all over so that the seasoning is well distributed. Then, get a nonstick skillet and put it over medium-high heat. Once warm, pour half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil then cook the chicken. It may take around 8 minutes to sear each side depending on the thickness. After it’s done, set the chicken aside.
For the sauce, use the same skillet where you cooked the chicken. Add another half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil before adding a garlic clove and 5 cups of chopped asparagus. Cook for about 5 minutes.
After that, add 1.25 cup (296ml) of lite coconut milk, 3/4 cup (177ml) of low sodium chicken broth, the juice from 2 lemons, and some lemon zest. Mix everything together and let it simmer for a few minutes. Add in your cooked pasta then lower the heat to let the sauce reduce.
Finally, add 1 tablespoon of oregano, 1/3 cup of chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh dill, and your chicken. Carefully mix everything together and garnish with dill, parsley, and a bit of lemon juice. If you love the taste of this, be sure to check out the other pasta recipes I have!
Creamy Dairy Free Chicken Pasta
- Boil and cook pasta according to instructions given (on the package) and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with a few pinches of sea salt, pepper and oregano. If you have it available, I’d toss in some freshly chopped rosemary as well.
- Add half of the olive oil to a (non-stick) skillet and set on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook on both sides for about 8 minutes each side or until the chicken breasts are completely cooked. Tip: if your skillet is all metal or can withstand high temperatures, I recommend searing both sides of the chicken breasts, then placing the entire skillet in the oven at 420F for about 8 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken breasts). This will help them cook much faster and this is especially recommended if the pieces of chicken breast are way too thick.
- Once the chicken breasts are cooked, remove them from the skillet. Place the skillet back on medium heat and add the remaining olive oil. Toss in garlic and chopped asparagus and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut milk. Allow it to simmer for a few minutes and then add cooked pasta. Reduce the heat and allow the sauce to begin to thicken.
- Add oregano, dill and fresh parsley. Stir and shake the pan, careful not to break the pasta. Finally, fold in chopped chicken breast and stir.
- Garnish with a little more dill, parsley and fresh lemon juice.
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!