Cowboys Pie – Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread on Top, Chili on Bottom
Cowboy Pie Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- Set oven to 350F.
- Set a 10-inch deep skillet on medium high heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic and bell peppers. Cook for 2 – 4 minutes or until onions turn brown and translucent.
- Add the ground meat and chop it up in the skillet as it cooks. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, the meat may not completely cook but that’s ok.
- Increase the heat to HIGH, then add tomato paste and the seasonings. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes to “bloom” the spices – it should be like a thick meaty paste and very fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and pour in the broth – if needed, use it to deglaze the bottom of the skillet and scrap it with a wooden spatula. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15 minutes while you prepare the cornbread batter.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold everything together. Then fold in the corn, jalapeño and cheddar.
- Take the chili off the heat and let it rest for a minute so it is settled. NOTE: make sure the chili is not “watery” or too thin. Then gently add the cornbread batter on top of the chili.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until you can pierce the cornbread with a toothpick and it come out clean.
- Let it cool down for 10 – 15 minutes before slicing open and enjoying!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.