Low Carb Bacon Butternut Cauliflower Bake
Cauliflower Bake Recipe
Prep Time 55 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Set an oven to 400F.
- Chop the ends off the butternut squash, then slice it down the middle vertically. Scrap out the seeds. Lightly spray the inside with olive oil, then add a pinch of sea salt & pepper. Place them face down on a baking tray lined with parchment. Roast in the oven until soft, about 45 – 55 minutes. Let it cool to touch once baked.
- Cook bacon until it is crispy in a skillet. Set aside to cool on a paper towel to drain and harden. Once it has cooled and hardened, chop or break it into small pieces, like bacon bits.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a microwaveable safe bowl. Add about 4 oz of water, then cover it and cook in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. The cauliflower should be SLIGHTLY tender but still be very crisp. Set the cauliflower aside to cool. (Alternatively, you can bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the florets and cook for NO MORE than 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.)
- Chop the baked butternut squash into large chunks. Remove the skin by cutting it away using a knife.
- Place all the ingredients for the cheese sauce in a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until silky smooth – it should look like cheese sauce.
- Lightly spray a baking dish with olive oil, add half of the cauliflower florets, then pour about half of the cheese sauce over them. Then add the remaining cauliflower on top, followed by the remaining cheese sauce. Use a spatula to fold and mix the cauliflower in the sauce – there should be no visible white pieces (this is why it’s important to make sure there are no large chunks of cauliflower).
- Sprinkle bacon on top, followed by gouda. Cover with foil, then bake in the oven for at least 25 – 30 minutes, removing the foil for the final 5 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Let it slightly cool after baking, then garnish and enjoy!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.