Black Banana Bread
What do you get when you add dark chocolate and black cacao to traditional banana bread?
Magic. You get pure delicious, decadent magic.
This is one of those recipes that uses a not-so common ingredient – black cacao – but can be easily substituted by adding swapping it with dark chocolate (or regular cacao) powder, but the color will not be as dark. Black cacao is a Dutch-processed cocoa powder that is “washed” with a solution of potassium carbonate in order to neutralize the acidity (or bitterness) of cacao.
When it’s done this way, the cacao is pretty mellow in flavor, NOT bitter at all and is very black, like onyx. If you know people that avoid dark chocolate because of its bitterness, black cacao – even though it’s darker – may be more pleasing. When you use it in baking recipes, it should be used as an “accent,” not a 1-for-1 swap for cacao or chocolate powder.
It’s not a common product in most grocery stores, but you can find it online. Find it, order it and try something new!
PRO-TIP: to better help with portion control, make these into muffins instead!
Black Banana Bread
- Set oven to 350F/177C.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add ripe bananas to a larger bowl and blend together using a hand mixer. Blend until smooth with only a few small chunks, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add remaining wet ingredients to the bowl, then blend until smooth.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and continue stirring so it doesn’t clump. If the mixture is too dry, add tablespoons of (almond) milk until it thins out some. It should be a thick, smooth and somewhat sticky batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks – but reserve about 2 tablespoons for the topping garnish – using a spatula.
- Spray a baking dish (or muffin pan) with nonstick baking spray or olive oil, then add the batter. Top it off with the remaining chocolate chunks.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top has hardened and splintered, and you can pierce the bread with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before removing it from the baking dish and slicing.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 300 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.