Asian Chicken Salad
Here is an Asian chicken salad, my very special recipe, made with cooked butternut squash, red bell pepper, carrots and purple cabbage.
One of my favorite projects to-date because I got to bring along my best friend, Max!
Max is “all of us” in any family photo.
Shown here resting before his on-camera debut.
One of everyone’s favorite go-to meals is chicken salad. It’s the “king” of the Thanksgiving leftover meals because it’s darn easy to make and gets the job done in terms of filling you up. The only thing – it gets kinda “meh” after about 2 servings.
Well, here’s a version that’s lighter on the fat calories, relying on Greek yogurt instead of mayo, and heavy on flavor and vitamins, taking a spin on a Thai peanut salad. I tossed in butternut squash because, well…fall is here.
You can buy all of these ingredients packaged and fresh at a local grocery store so you can easily assemble them while you’re away from your home kitchen.
First, you will need to cook the zucchini in the microwave to make them crispy. When they cool, cut them into small pieces and mix with the other ingredients for the sauce. Made a sauce with 2% Greek yogurt, no-salt-added peanut butter, low sodium soy sauce, ginger paste, lime juice or rice vinegar, and red peppers.
Remove the skin from cooked chicken and pull apart the meat with a fork. Add the other ingredients into the bowl, along with the chicken and mix together.
Add sauce to the chicken salad, mix and garnish with some fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons of crushed, unsalted peanuts. Enjoy your homemade Chinese chicken salad.
Asian Chicken Salad
- Slice raw butternut squash horizontally to create thick discs. Then chop off the sides to remove the skin.
- Place the discs in a microwaveable safe bowl and add about 1/2-inch of water. Microwave for 3 to 4 minutes until they are crisp-tender. Immediately place them on a plate lined with a paper towel to cool. Once they are cool, chop them into pieces.
- Mix together the ingredients for the sauce. Season to taste with more lime and/or soy sauce. Set aside.
- Purchase a cooked Rotisserie chicken. Remove the skin and place the white meat into a large bowl. Pull the chicken apart using forks. Measure out your desired portion of chicken meat.
- In a large bowl, add the ingredients for the salad along with the chicken. Fold everything to mix.
- Add the sauce and mix.
- Garnish and enjoy!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.