This post is also available in: Spanish
Two myths to dispel:
- the vegan diet is not just for vegans. As a meat eater, you can actually find a lot of inspiration from vegan meals since you can simply add your choice of “animal” protein if desired.
- you CAN build muscle and lose weight on a vegan diet. As with any diet and meal plan, it is all about consuming the right portions and macronutrient ratios to support your fitness goals.
Here is one of my new favorite recipes, just in time for the cold weather – vegan chili with freekeh.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 2 cups cooked freekeh (or quinoa)
- 1 can (15oz) tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 can (15oz) dark red kidney beans
- 1 can (15oz) black beans
- 1.75 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup red onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tsp gumbo file (or 1 tsp cumin)
215 calories, 11g protein, 41g carbs, 3g fat, 10g fiber, 6g sugar